Homemade spray cleaner - and dishcloths



It's Autumn, can't believe it's Autumn already, the seasons always seem to pass so quickly. And it really does feel like Autumn all of a sudden, I'm noticing yellow leaves dropping, and the evening temperatures have all of a sudden dropped too.
I've been doing a bit of Autumn cleaning - instead of Spring cleaning, I know, I'm upside down. But I've been inspired by this new homemade spray cleaner I have discovered. My wonderful friend Carla (Hi Carla ;) gave me this recipe, and really, you have to try it, it really is brilliant. You know that nasty sticky dust that seems to settle itself up high in the kitchen, on fridge tops and things? Spray, and wipe, I'm telling you, it just wipes right off.

So today I've just been going crazy with my little trigger bottle and spraying everything - cupboards, windows, appliances, skirting boards, walls, ceilings. Spraying and wiping. Spraying and wiping. And Isla has been helping too because not only does this stuff work but it's kid friendly too, and friendly on sensitive hands, and it's cheap - yip, it's just got everything going for it. So now after all that, you realy want the recipe right.

:: Homemade spray cleaner ::
To use on everything

- 500 ml spray bottle
- 1 tsp dish liquid
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 4 or 5 drops of tea tree oil (tea tree is antiseptic)
- Optional - other essential oils for scent (next time I'm going to add lavendar oil)
Put everything into your spray bottle and then top up with water. And go for it! I know it seems so simple, but don't be skeptical, just give it a try, you won't regret it.
-


And while we're on the subject of cleaning, I must share with you my love of knitted cotton dishcloths. Yip I love them, I've converted mum to them too, it's all we use. I have a lovely lady I 'met' online who knits them for us, but I've also bought some off Trade Me, and I'm sure you'd be able to find them on Etsy too. Or, if you're the knitting kind, there are plenty of patterns to be found out there on the internet to knit your own.
Or you could try this super easy pattern which I've had jotted down on a scrap of paper and been meaning to try.

:: Cotton knitted dishcloth ::
(sorry can't remember where I got this pattern from)

- 50g ball worsted weight cotton yarn.
- 6 1/2 mm needles
Cast on 25 stitches.
Work 36 rows in garter stitch (knit every row).
Cast off.
-
Happy cleaning
xx

22 comments

Gypsy said...

Great recipe for the cleaner ... will give that a go! I do a lot of light cleaning with water and lavendar oil which repels flies (we have a fly problem it seems) but that recipe looks great for more 'real cleaning' too. Love the picture of the pretty dishcloths. How do they compare to microfibre ones?

hanna said...

Hi Gypsy, I haven't used microfibre ones so I'm not sure. But these, if you can imagine are quite dense and heavy when wet but wring out really well

Leah said...

Thanks for sharing, I love the dish clothes in your pictures very nice. Im off to make some.

Jo's Place said...

I'm going to give that cleaner a go, sounds fantastic. I knitted my first dish cloth about a year ago and have not used anything else since. I knit mine out of a cotton/bamboo mix and they are fabulous.

Michaela said...

Sounds great. I am inspired and next week is spring break. Perfect, I can catch up with cleaning too. :))

Jessicah said...

Your recipe looks great! Now I need to hunt down an empty squeeze bottle, I know there's one around here somewhere!

Mary Beth said...

Your photos are just gorgeous as usual Hanna. Those dishcloths are so pretty in those bright colors! I love to use homemade spray cleaner too and so do my littles. It's amazing how well it works and how companies ever made us believe we have to buy the chemically stuff!

gardenmama said...

This is so great Hanna!
I was going to post on my blog to see if anyone would want to do a swap with me and make me handmade dish/face cloths! I have a few and adore them but have also often thought that I need to just make my own. I knit but not much so was a bit intimidated. I think I love you for posting this easy as pie pattern!! Seriously, I am loving you right now! lol xo

Stella said...

my sister crochets these too, if like me you are not a knitter... but perhaps an easy pattern for a learner? I would love to be able to knit!

Rhiannon said...

oh, awesome! good-bye $6 bottles of stinky, fumey sprays. must pick up some oil this week!

BellaBree said...

oh yay!
I'm going to find me some cotton and get knitting! I use a similar spray mix...didn't have the teeatree, but will go and add it right now - thanks!x

Jessica said...

I need to make a few more of those knitted coths--I love them so much. I need to try your spray cleaner--I'd much prefer to make my own than buy it at the grocery store.

Tinylovley said...

What a great post. I have been using a similar spray for awhile now but I never thought to add teatree or lavender oil. Brilliant. I have been thinking about knitting dishcloths thanks for the simple pattern. I think I will just have to have a go.
Rebecca

Tinylovley said...

What a great post. I have been using a similar spray for awhile now but I never thought to add teatree or lavender oil. Brilliant. I have been thinking about knitting dishcloths thanks for the simple pattern. I think I will just have to have a go.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Right thats it, you are coming here to clean my house while Aaron is away, go on I know you want to!

Tinylovely said...

What a great post. I have been using a similar spray for awhile now but I never thought to add teatree or lavender oil. Brilliant. I have been thinking about knitting dishcloths thanks for the simple pattern. I think I will just have to have a go.
Rebecca

Tinylovely said...

Woops I am such an idiot, triple comments. Technical issues, hehe

melissa said...

wow- that looks amazing! i will tryit for sure. thanks, hanna!

Stacey said...

I haven't knitted since I was five so I won't be knitting any of these cloths. I will however make some of the cleaner as I have all the neccessary ingredients.

I really would love the dishcloths too though. Their bright colours sure would make cleaning fun! I wonder if you could use old tee shirt yearn and knit that up in the same manner?

Stella said...

Thank you for your lovely comments! And I can't imagine how it would feel if Zan went off on a trip, even for a night! Even just being at home is more fun with someone else there huh. I hope you find some solace, perhaps some lovely visitors, or a great book! x

Chelsea said...

oooh - I hate that sticky stuff! I'm sure to try this spray recipe - what a great thing to share.

Digitalconsultantbd said...

By requiring out a couple of moments from your day, you can help with thwarting the spread of microorganisms, diseases, and scents overall through various locale of your home. Not solely will your home smell Sanitizer Spray cleaner and fresher, however then again you will safeguard prospering lengths that attempt to empower your family for a long time.