Making yoghurt

I used to make this yoghurt every week, but it's been a while since I've made some.
Now I remember how yummy it is it may become a regular thing again.
You don't need any special equipment to make this, just a big jar, a blanket to wrap it in and a warm spot to rest it in.


I like mine sprinkled with a little mascovado sugar.
Or with some homemade jam stirred through.

:: Homemade yoghurt ::

- 3 Tbsp greek yoghurt
- 400 ml cold water
- 300 ml boiling water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 cups milk powder

Put all ingredients in a warmed 1 litre glass jar and mix thoroughly. I usually don't add all the water at once so that I can put the lid on and give it a good shake making sure it's all thoroughly mixed, then add the remaining water.
Put the lid back on and wrap the jar up really well in a big woollen blanket.
Leave it in the hot water cupboard for 5 hours.
Then into the fridge to chill before eating.


Here's mine almost all eaten already.

You can use a bit of the leftover to start the next batch. I only tend to do this once though for food safety reasons, just in case bad things start growing or something. Whereas the store bought yoghurt is pasterised. But I'm no expert, do what you feel comfortable with.
** Edit ** You can freeze tablespoons of the yogurt in ice cube trays and then use these to start your next batch, just make sure they are defrosted first as the frozen cubes will affect the temperature of your mix.

** Edit ** If the yoghurt comes out runny it means it hasn't worked. It should be really thick, almost jelly-like. The problem is probably that your cupboard is not warm enough. I have had this happen sometimes in winter on a cold day. Your jar should still feel quite warm after the 5 hours is up.

5 comments

Amy B. said...

Yummy! I am going to try your recipe tomorrow. Looks delicious.

amy
www.breedingcreativity.wordpress.com

Jessicah said...

Your yoghurt looks yummy and thick- just how I like it! I freeze yoghurt in ice cubes (about 1T fits in each) and use them as my starter- works a treat! As a microbiologist I delight in making my own yoghurt :)

Anonymous said...

Yum, me and Ra just looked at buting a yoghurt maker today, but they are expensive to buy the sachet thingys.
Huh, now we dont have to, thanks sis!
By the way I love your comment about 'food safety' Aarons influence I'd say xx

Jac said...

I've always been impressed when people make their own yoghurt as it always sounded like a laborious thing to do but I love how straight forward this sounds...you might have tempted me to go this a go sometime! :)

Michaela said...

I have just found your blog today via Mary Beth at saltandcholocate.blogpost.com...and so your blog stayed open all day and whenever I sat down to the computer, I would "flip" through several pages. Oh and also, I baked no-rise bread today and am making yogurt right now.
Just wanted to stop by and tell you that you inspired me greatly. Thanks. I am glad I found you.