Homemade playdough


(I make it on the kitchen floor and the kids help me measure and stir)


I'm on a mission this week to get a whole lot of crafting done. I'm supposed to be selling some of my things in a shop up north a bit from us, it's been on the agenda for a while, but it seems I never have a pile of stock large enough to warrant a trip up to drop it off. I know that now would be a good time, with people doing their Christmas gifts shopping.
So I said to Aaron on Sunday night, that this coming Saturday we would make a trip to the shop. And I would have tucked under my arm a little stack of labelled goods. So I have a week (well less now of course. I have a deadline. I'm on a mission. And then it's done, and it will quit bugging me.



So anyway this all means that I need to find ways to keep to keep two little ones busy and otherwise occupied as much as possible so that they don't want to be sitting on my knee while I'm doing hand sewing with a sharp pointy needle.
So yesterday we made playdough. And I thought I'd share the recipe. I would never consider buying playdough because playdough is so easy to make (and the bought stuff smells funny anyway). And this recipe is extra easy as it requires no cooking on the stovetop. Which means no frantic stirring and baked on dough to clean off, and it means that the kids can help you make it.


:: No-cook playdough recipe ::

- 2 cups flour
- 4 Tbsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil

Mix the dry ingredients first then add the rest. (Of course you'll want to be careful when adding the boiling water if the kids are helping out).



Chalk drawing and painting with water is another great way to keep busy. I love the photo below of Isla's shadow handing me a paintbrush.

5 comments

christina said...

Hi Hanna! I've been reading your blog for quite a while now and have been meaning to say hi... =) Your post was a very good reminder for me to hurry up and make some playdough for my little girl!

Anonymous said...

Well I hope your tactics worked and that you are getting lots done. I have to say that just yesterday playdough and water play amused my two for nearly 2 hours!! The great thing was I've only ever made playdough once and we put it back in the fridge and it's great weeks later. xx

Leah said...

Well, I hope you get buzy and the kids play well so you get lots done. Playdough is a regular at our house too. Love the dress you made for you little miss. very sweet, and your shoe's devine.

elyse said...

Thanks for the recipe! I will be using this to replace the one I have been using since mine requires cooking and that means way to many hands that want to be near my stove to see what is happeneing!

Kerri Lynne said...

awe! that last photo is perfect. love your blog!