muffins with millet and pumpkin seeds



I've made these muffins twice in the last week. They are really delicious, definately worth sharing the recipe, and bit more healthy than sugary cookies. I'm really trying to cut down on the amount of sugar we consume, and trying to bake things that I don't feel so bad about eating!
I only recently found this recipe on the internet, but can't for the life of me find the source now. I'm sure I've saved it somewhere, if I come across it again I'll add the link here. Just as well I copied it down on paper!

For the first batch I actually used 1 cup pumpkin puree and 1/2 cup stewed apple as I didn't have enough pumpkin. I made another batch just yesterday and swapped the pumpkin puree for a mixture of feijoa and mashed banana, they are delicious and I think any sort of fruit would work well.

:: Pumpkin muffins with millet ::

- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used olive).
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup wholemeal flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

In a dry skillet toast millet seeds until lightly browned, set aside. Toast pumpkin seeds in the same way and add to millet.
In a small bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
In a large bowl mix eggs, oil, milk, sugar, vanilla and pumpkin puree until smooth. Stir in oats and add pumpkin seeds and millet.
Add dry to wet ingredients and stir only to combine, do not overmix.
Generously fill 12-15 muffin liners, sprinkle with more pumpkin seeds if desired.
Cook for about 25 minutes at 180 c.

1 comment

Tamara said...

yum!! even though here, it isn't really the "season" for baking with pumpkin, i must admit that i have a couple of cans of pumpkin in the cupboard, begging to be used up. looking forward to trying this soon!